The Supreme Court of Ghana has affirmed the declaration of John Dramani Mahama as the legitimate winner of the country’s closely fought 2012 presidential poll.
The nine-member panel dismissed a petition brought by leaders of the main opposition New Patriotic Party (NPP) claiming fraud in the election.
In a judgment that lasted barely 10 minutes, President of the Court, Justice William Atuguba said although some of the petitioners’ claims were upheld by individual justices, the combine effect of their collective opinions is that the petition is dismissed.
Summary of Judgement and Judges' Votes
1. Overvoting: dismissed 5:4
2. Voting without biometric verification: dismissed 5:4
3. Absence of signature: dismissed 5:4...
4. Duplicate serial numbers: dismissed unanimously
5. Duplicate Polling Station Codes: dismissed unanimously
6. Unknown polling stations: dismissed unanimously